Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pre-Op

Today was a very busy day for me at the Cleveland Clinic. Tom and I drove down Tuesday night in order to make my first appointment at 7:30am...and neither of us are morning people!
I had an EKG, blood drawn, and consults with the anestesiologist (?), stoma nurse, surgeon, and oncologist. We were finally able to get out of Cleveland at 4 this afternoon. Overall, due to my positive MRI and PET scans, the doctors are feeling good about a positive outcome. Unfortunately, due to my radiation history, my surgeon calls me a "special case", and didn't have alot of definitive answers for me today. The goal is still to remove my entire colon in addition to the removal of the rectum, but that is dependent on the "health" of my small bowel. It needs to be healthy enough to accomodate an iliostomy...if not, they will leave the colon and I will have a colostomy. I do not have a specific surgery time as of yet, but they are telling me it could be an eight hour surgery, so hopefully we will start early....the surgeon remarked that I am her only "date" for the day. Again, thanks to all who are praying so earnestly on my behalf. Please pray that the results of a "localized tumor" are confirmed and the removal goes well, with no to minimal lymph node involvement. I am trusting the Lord that I will only need intraoperative radiation (if that) with no follow up chemo treatment...that would be a miraculous result, but I know that God is the great physician, and with Him all things are possible!! Please too remember to pray for wisdom and stamina for my surgical team, Dr. Hull and Dr. Stephans. I am thankful that my family will be with me during the week I am in the hospital...please pray for them as well....I think it is more difficult to be the cargiver than the patient!
Hopefully Tom will be blogging in my place during the week I am in the hospital, and I hope to be back asap!!

5 comments:

  1. We will be thinking of you! We send our love and prayers for a successful surgery and good recovery.
    Jill, Mike, Isabelle, Owen & Eli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know many people are "followers" on this blog even though it only shows nine. In fact I added my name as a follower, and the number did not go up. Anyway many many people are following and praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of you and praying for you all every day, Karen! God's peace be with you! with love--RuthAnn and Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our continued prayers for you, the surgeons and Tom, as well as your family....Tom put such a positive spin on things when describing your journey, how fortunate to have him as your advocate and caregiver! We are appreciative of your updates.
    Much Love,
    Nancy, Ted, Kevin, Sean, Ryan and Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are in prayers as well as the medical team performing the surgery today. Love Tom. Diane Dan, Bill, Sarah, Aaron and Rachel

    ReplyDelete