Thursday, June 3, 2010

Doctoring

As many of you know, I have been in the process of searching for the right medical team to be in charge of my care. Tom and I had a great visit with a team from the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday, and are both feeling confident that God has brought us to the doctors who can deal with my case. The biggest obstacle is my history of previous radiation. The treatment of choice for rectal cancer is several weeks of pre-operative radiation/chemo, following by several weeks of rest, followed by surgery (in my case this will involve removal of the rectum) and then after a few weeks of healing, post-operative radiation/chemo. Due to my previous radiation history, the role of pre-operative radiation has been an issue. Cleveland has the possibility of intraoperative radiation that may eliminate my need for preoperative radiation. Whether I am a candidate for this is dependent on the results of a MRI and PET scan. I am in the process of waiting for this to be setup. I will need to return to Cleveland for these tests. Please pray that I would be able to have these early the week of June 7th, and that the tumor would be very contained allowing for surgery without preoperative radiation. Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Karen, welcome to blogland. Thank you for sharing your story and for letting us be a part of the blessing we will receive as we go along with you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete